Results tagged ‘ Matt Dominguez ’
Ask around about Matt Dominguez and the name that pops up on a regular basis is Mike Lowell.
Dominguez, Florida’s first-round pick in 2007, is a slick-fielding 19-year-old third baseman. His style of play reminds the team of Lowell, the former Marlin who is now with Boston.
When drafted, Dominguez drew comparisons to Washington’s Ryan Zimmerman.
On Friday, Dominguez showed some bat speed, too. He had a challenge, facing live pitching from Ricky Nolasco. While Dominguez is a few years away from being big league ready, he is has the potential to move very quickly through the system.
— Joe Frisaro
Some of happenings at camp on Wednesday:
* Reliever Jose Ceda’s sore right shoulder is preventing him from throwing for four or five days.
* Cody Ross will be away from the team for a couple of days because his wife is slated to have labor induced on their second child. The baby is scheduled to be born on Thursday, and Ross expects to be out Thursday and Friday, and perhaps Saturday.
* A couple of sleepers to keep an eye on are outfielder John Raynor and reliever Tim Wood.
* Third baseman Matt Dominguez, the 19-year-old first-round pick from 2007, is showing why he is so highly regarded. Dominguez is a slick fielder, and he draws comparisons to Mike Lowell.
* Jay Gibbons in drills is working in left field with Jeremy Hermida, and Brett Carroll is backing up Ross in right field.
— Joe Frisaro