Results tagged ‘ Burke Badenhop ’

Winter Meetings leftovers

It’s no secret the Marlins are exploring lefty relief help. Randy Choate has been added to the mix of possibilities. Also on Florida’s radar is Joe Beimel.

In all likelihood, the team will add a veteran lefty, who projects to join Mike Dunn on the Opening Day roster.

As the lefty search continues, don’t rule out the Marlins eventually exploring the possibility of landing an experienced closer. At the Winter Meetings, which wrapped up last Thursday in Lake Buena Vista, representatives of the organization inquired about the availability of Padres All-Star Heath Bell.

After Adrian Gonzalez was traded to the Red Sox, the Marlins checked to see if San Diego has more big moves ahead. For now, it appears Bell will be staying with the Padres. But that could change over the course of the next few months, and into the season.

The Marlins are planning on giving Leo Nunez the first shot at closing when Spring Training opens. Clay Hensley is a backup option.

* Manager Edwin Rodriguez offered a preliminary batting order for upcoming Grapefruit League games in March — Chris Coghlan (CF), Omar Infante (2B), Hanley Ramirez (SS), Mike Stanton (RF), Logan Morrison (LF), Gaby Sanchez (1B), John Buck (C) and Matt Dominguez (3B).

* Recently, Rodriguez came to terms on an endorsement deal with New Balance. “Edwin is honored as the first Puerto Rican-born Major League manager to be with New Balance,” said Burton Rocks, Rodriguez’s New York-based agent.

* Here are some contract details of recently signed Marlins. Burke Badenhop will earn $750,000 in 2011 after he avoided arbitration. John Buck’s three-year, $17,943,787 million contract includes base salaries of $4.5 million in ’11, $6 million in ’12 and $6 million in ’13. There also is a $1.5 million signing bonus, and incentives of $25,000 if he makes the All-Star Game and winning the Silver Slugger Award. He has a $50,000 Gold Glove bonus. Javier Vazquez’s one-year, $7 million deal includes a $25,000 All-Star bonus and a $100,000 bonus if he wins the Cy Young Award. Buck and Vazquez also can earn bonuses if the Marlins reach the playoffs and they are named MVP of either the League Championship Series or the World Series.

– Joe Frisaro
 

Hanley welcomes LeBron

Hanley Ramirez, the Marlins three-time All-Star shortstop and face of the franchise, extended a warm South Florida welcome to LeBron James.

h2rlebron.jpgShortly after James announced he was signing with the Miami Heat, Ramirez scribbled on a piece of paper, “Welcome LeBron.”

The addition of James brings one of the biggest names in sports to South Florida.

The Marlins feature a couple of All-Stars in Ramirez and Josh Johnson, a 6-foot-7 right-hander who played basketball in high school.

Marlins outfielder Cody Ross says he played point guard in high school. He couldn’t dunk.

“But I could get the rim,” said Ross, who is listed as 5-foot-10 in the media guide.

Reliever Burke Badenhop grew up in Ohio, and said he averaged 14 points and seven rebounds a game playing high school basketball.

– Joe Frisaro

 

Bullpen options for Baltimore

For the Marlins to get back over .500 and into realistic playoff contention, they need to solidify their bullpen.

There are more unanswered questions, even after Josh Johnson’s brilliant eight-inning start on Sunday in a 4-1 win over the Rays.

When Johnson is on the mound, the bullpen pretty much gets a day off. Only closer Leo Nunez was used to polish up the ninth inning for his 15th save in 18 chances.

After the game, the Marlins announced they had designated Jorge Sosa for assignment and optioned Jay Buente to Triple-A New Orleans.

The club has yet to announce which two relievers would be getting called up for their series at Baltimore, which begins on Tuesday.

Burke Badenhop doesn’t appear to be one of them. Badenhop opened the season with the Marlins, but was optioned to Triple-A last month. Jose Veras, who is not on the 40-man roster, also was on the Opening Day roster before being designated for assignment in April.

If the Marlins stay with pitchers on their 40-man roster, there is a candidate to keep an eye on. Jose Ceda, the 23-year-old who was acquired from the Cubs for Kevin Gregg after the 2008 season.

Now, Ceda missed all of 2009 with a shoulder injury. He was in Spring Training this season for a little while with the big league club.

Ceda is working his way back into shape at low Class A Greensboro, where he has thrown eight innings with five strikeouts and one walk. His ERA is 4.50, but three of the four runs he allowed came on June 5.

If Ceda doesn’t get the call as soon as Tuesday, he is a promising hard-thrower who likely will make his big league debut sometime this season. Ceda threw 30 innings at Double-A Tennessee in the Cubs system in 2008.

He remains a possibility to help the bullpen in the near future.

Veras, meanwhile, has appeared in 23 games at New Orleans. He’s struck out 35 and walked 15 in 28 1/3 innings. Veras pitched a scoreless inning on Sunday, striking out three, but walking two.

With Sosa designated for assignment, Veras could be added to the 40-man and active roster for Tuesday, if the team goes with him.

Kris Harvey, at Class A Jupiter, and Brett Sinkbeil, at Triple-A New Orleans, are other right-handed relievers who are on the 40-man roster. They may be in the mix, if not immediately then something this year.

– Joe Frisaro

 

Marlins roster moves

Before facing the Braves on Thursday night, the Marlins made an assortment of roster moves.

The team recalled left-hander Taylor Tankersley and right-hander Jay Buente from Triple-A New Orleans. Infielder Mike Lamb had his contract selected from New Orleans. The veteran, who opened the season with the club, returns for his second stint. He becomes a left-handed bat off the bench.

The Marlins also placed lefty reliever Renyel Pinto on the 15-day disabled list with a left hip strain.

Tankersley joins Dan Meyer as the lefties working out of the pen. The former first-round pick in 2004 is in the big leagues for the first time since July of 2008. He missed all of last year after undergoing stress fracture elbow surgery.

Tankersley appeared in 20 games with New Orleans. In 19 1/3 innings, he struck out 17 and walked six.

Buente, like Tankersley, was in big league camp with the Marlins. At New Orleans, the right-hander struck out 35 in 26 2/3 innings, but he has walked 17.

Badenhop has struggled in May. The right-hander, who suffered the loss on Wednesday, has given up at least one run in six of his seven appearances in May.

Lamb had been playing third base at New Orleans. He was 10-for-40 (.250) with the Zephyrs.

After Wednesday’s game, the Marlins optioned outfielder Bryan Petersen to Triple-A.

– Joe Frisaro

 

VandenHurk, Wood optioned

Shortly after the Marlins beat the Nationals, 9-5, on Tuesday, the Marlins made a roster move that completes how the pitching staff will shake down.

Rick VandenHurk and Tim Wood were each optioned to Triple-A New Orleans. VandenHurk will be in the New Orleans rotation, while Wood will pitch in relief.

The transactions came a few hours after Florida obtained lefty Nate Robertson from the Tigers in exchange for lefty prospect Jay Voss.

The starting rotation will be — Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad and Robertson.

Clay Hensley is making the team as a long reliever, instead of the fifth starter.

Barring any other moves, the bullpen will feature: Leo Nunez, Brian Sanches, Jose Veras, Renyel Pinto, Dan Meyer, Burke Badenhop and Hensley.

– Joe Frisaro

 

Speculating on final roster

For weeks, Marlins coaches and officials have been evaluating. Now, the time is getting close to make the tough final decisions and set the 25-man roster.

Opening Day is a week away (April 5 at the Mets), and there are still some unanswered questions.

On Monday, the Marlins did settle who will be the starting first baseman. As expected, Gaby Sanchez was given the nod when Logan Morrison was reassigned to Minor League camp. Morrison will start off at Triple-A New Orleans. Don’t discount the 22-year-old making an impact at some point during the season. A year ago, Chris Coghlan was in Triple-A until May, and he went on to become the N.L. Rookie of the Year.

The rotation also has come together, with Clay Hensley securing the fifth spot.

Still to be resolved are at least one bench player, as well as a bullpen spot.

Over the past few days, Marlins personnel evaluators have been in Jupiter, consulting and meeting. Final moves can happen any day now.

While nothing has been officially announced, for recreational purposes, here is a look at how the 25-man roster may shake down. There are a few factors that will come into play, like how players fit into the 40-man roster. Currently, nine non-roster invitees are still in camp.

Again, this is for conversational purposes only, and not an officially announced 25-man squad.

Catchers: John Baker, Ronny Paulino

Infielders: Gaby Sanchez, Dan Uggla, Hanley Ramirez, Jorge Cantu, Wes Helms, Brian Barden, Mike Lamb

Outfielders: Chris Coghlan, Cameron Maybin, Cody Ross, Emilio Bonifacio

Starting pitchers: Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez, Chris Volstad, Clay Hensley

Bullpen: Leo Nunez (closer), Brian Sanchez, Jose Veras, Burke Badenhop, Tim Wood, Renyel Pinto, Dan Meyer

On this projected roster, there are four non-roster invitees who will have to be added to the 40-man roster — Hensley, Lamb, Barden and Veras. Currently, there are 37 on the 40-man. So that means, if they all make it, one current 40-man player would be removed.

The Marlins did clear a 40-man spot when pitcher Hayden Penn was claimed off waivers by the Pirates on Monday.

Barden, Donnie Murphy and Hector Luna are are vying for a utility position. All three are non-roster invitees. Murphy has impressed several other teams who have been watching him in camp. But Barden may secure the job. Working in Barden’s favor is his ability to play shortstop defensively at a high level. Of all the players in camp, Barden appears to be the best insurance policy to Ramirez. Barden also can play left field.

Bonifacio, of course, is a natural middle infielder. For now, it looks like he will be used in a super utility role previously held by Alfredo Amezaga.

The Marlins appear to be leaning toward not carrying a primary backup outfielder. Bryan Petersen, a highly regarded prospect, has impressed. But he likely will be in Triple-A.

The Marlins don’t have the need for a regular outfield backup because the starters — Coghlan, Maybin and Ross — won’t be replaced for defensive purposes. Now, if there is an injury situation, the team would likely make a move to call up an outfielder. Brett Carroll, who will open the season on the disabled list with a strained left oblique, is an option once he is healthy. Jai Miller, Scott Cousins and Petersen (if he doesn’t make the team) are other choices.

Barden also gives some flexibility if the Marlins slide Cantu over to first base in the late innings. The Marlins could go with Barden or Helms at third, or use them as pinch-hitters. Lamb is expected to be the lefty bat off the bench.

Gaby Sanchez adds value in the fact he could be the emergency third catcher. This is important because it means either Baker or Paulino — the catcher who doesn’t start — could be used as a pinch-hitter.

The bullpen battles have been tightly contested all spring. Seth McClung, a non-roster invitee, has more big league experience than Wood. McClung alsohas a clause that allows him to opt out of his contract on April 1. Not being on the 40-man roster may work against McClung and for Wood.

If Wood makes the team, he would be a middle relief candidate. The hard-throwing right-hander has been impressive in camp, and his slider has improved.

Badenhop is a long relief, and spot starter candidate. He’s had a solid spring. Veras has been throwing 95 mph all spring, and he has big league experience in a setup role.

Much can still change in the next few days. But the picture of how the team may look is becoming a bit more clear.

– Joe Frisaro
 

Bullpen shaping up

Perhaps there is just one bullpen spot left to fill at Marlins camp.

Manager Fredi Gonzalez shed some light on some of the relievers who are moving closer to winning spots on the Opening Day roster.

 
pinto4a.JPGThe Marlins anticipate carrying 12 relievers, and Leo Nunez is locked in as the closer. The team anticipates carrying two lefties. They are expected to be Renyel Pinto and Dan Meyer. Both are out of options.

Also strong possibilities to make the team are right-handers Brian Sanches and Jose Veras, in camp on a Minor League contract. Burke Badenhop is a frontrunner to be the long reliever.

“This can change,” said Gonzalez, noting that other candidates may pop across the waiver wire.

If these five hold true, there will be one reliever spot open.

Candidates include Mike MacDougal, Seth McClung, Tim Wood, Chris Leroux and Scott Strickland. 

The team may also decide to keep someone like Clay Hensley, who is in the mix for a rotation spot. If Hensley isn’t in the rotation, he could be an option in relief. The same would hold true for Rick VandenHurk and Hayden Penn, who are currently being used as starters.

– Joe Frisaro

  

VandenHurk's stiff back

Marlins right-hander Rick VandenHurk’s start lasted four innings on Tuesday night at Citi Field. He was lifted due to back stiffness and he’s listed as day to day.

With two outs in the third inning, the 24-year-old favored his right side after throwing a pitch to New York’s Anderson Hernandez. Manager Fredi Gonzalez and assistant trainer Mike Kozak headed to the mound to check on VandenHurk. He threw a warmup pitch and remained in the game, striking Hernandez out to end the inning.

But in the fifth inning, Burke Badenhop replaced VandenHurk, who gave up one run on four hits with three strikeouts and a walk. He didn’t qualify for the win because he didn’t throw the necessary five innings.

VandenHurk’s fastball velocity in the fourth inning was about 88-89 mph, after it was 91-92 in the first inning. He also reached 94 mph in the first.

If VandenHurk can’t make his next scheduled start, on Sunday against the Nationals in Miami, a possibility to replace him is Chris Volstad.

– Joe Frisaro

 

Maybin recalled, Ayala designated

About two hours before the September call-up period began, the Marlins made some moves.

After Florida lost 5-2 to the Braves on Monday night at Land Shark Stadium, the team announced reliever Luis Ayala was designated for assignment, and center fielder Cameron Maybin was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans.

The Marlins also announced Rick VandenHurk will be recalled on Tuesday from Triple-A, and the right-hander will start against the Braves on Wednesday.

Catcher Brett Hayes also will be called up from Triple-A, and reliever Burke Badenhop will be reinstated off the disabled list and added to the roster on Tuesday.

– Joe Frisaro

 

Marlins staying the course

The search for experienced pitching didn’t happen for the Marlins on Monday.

Brad Penny, who cleared waivers and became a free agent on Monday, signed with the Giants. The Marlins had been hopeful to obtain the veteran right-hander who was part of their 2003 World Series title team.

Penny was released by Boston and the Giants moved to the forefront as they seek to overtake the Rockies in the Wild Card race.

A few weeks ago, the Marlins also expressed in John Smoltz, who signed with the Cardinals.

By midnight Sept. 1, all teams must set their postseason rosters. Barring a trade before midnight, the Marlins are staying the course with players already in their organization.

The Marlins entered Monday tied with the Braves for second place in the N.L. East. Both teams are 3 1/2 games behind the Rockies and Giants, who are now tied for the Wild Card lead.

On Tuesday, rosters expand as the September call-up period begins.

“You’re going to have some guys coming up, to help with pinch-running, to help with defense, to help with pinch-hitting when you may want to save a guy until the later innings,” veteran Wes Helms said. “September helps out with those things. It keeps guys fresh. It’s going to be fun. We’re in a good position right now. We got a little lucky with Colorado getting beaten. We’re 3 1/2 games, and that’s very reachable as long as we do what we need to do.”

Manager Fredi Gonzalez noted that reliever Burke Badenhop will be a probable call-up on Tuesday. The team also is looking for a third catcher, and Brett Hayes at Triple-A New Orleans is expected to come up, if not on Tuesday then soon afterwards.

Rick VandenHurk, the probable starter for Wednesday against the Braves, also should be joining the team. If not on Tuesday, then by Wednesday.

– Joe Frisaro

 

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 87 other followers