MIAMI — If the Marlins remain in the race in September, Andrew Heaney will not be held back due to an innings limit.
The way the organization has spaced out his starts in the Minor Leagues, Heaney can reach his target innings range without being shut down.
“There is always a range when you’re talking about innings for these guys,” Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill said. “He can pitch every fifth day and fit within that range.”
The basic range is around 170.
Heaney is at 76 2/3 innings in 13 Minor League games, with 12 starts.
Anthony DeSclafani is in a similar boat.
In 2013, the Marlins received plenty of attention with Jose Fernandez, who was shut down on Sept. 11 at 172 2/3 innings.
At Triple-A New Orleans, Heaney was skipped a start on June 12 for the purpose of keeping him within a 170 range. He was lined up to throw again on Thursday for the Zephyrs, but with a need for starting pitching help, the decision was made to bring Heaney up earlier than projected.
Heaney will make his MLB debut on Thursday against the Mets. He will be going from June 7 to June 19 between starts. He threw a bullpen at Marlins Park on Monday.
“I think we all felt with Heaney it was a matter of not if, but when,” Hill said. “We really just worked through what his pitching schedule would be for the rest of the year, and make sure when he did come there would be no restrictions.”
With the All-Star Break in July, the Marlins can work things out to push Heaney back a few days before he makes his first start of the second half.
“That’s the one thing I’ve said, when he came here there were no restrictions,” Hill said.
– Joe Frisaro
MIAMI — The future is starting now for the Marlins.
In the thick of the National League East race, Miami has finally pulled the trigger on their top prospect, promoting lefty Andrew Heaney from Triple-A New Orleans.
Miami had been planning on giving the 23-year-old one more Triple-A start, which would have been Thursday. Instead, Heaney has been called up to help a struggling rotation.
The Marlins also have called up right-hander Anthony DeSclafani, who was scratched from his Triple-A starter on Sunday.
Outfielder Jake Marisnick and first baseman Justin Bour also were brought up.
On a busy day, Miami also placed outfielder Christian Yelich on the 15-day disabled list, retro to June 14, with a lower back strain. Infielder Donovan Solano was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans.
Pitchers Randy Wolf and Kevin Slowey were designated for assignment.
Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia was transferred to the 15-day disabled list after he had been on the seven-day concussion list since June 1.
Heaney, the ninth overall pick in 2012, is ranked as the 25th overall pick by MLB.com, as well as the No. 1 lefty prospect.
The former Oklahoma State standout was 3-0 with a 2.74 ERA in four starts for New Orleans. He opened the season at Double-A Jacksonville, where he was 4-2 with a 2.35 ERA.
To help curb his total innings, Heaney was scratched from his most recent start, which was to be last Thursday.
Miami headed into Monday night one game behind the Braves in the NL East. The Marlins have been struggling to find quality starting pitching. Heaney and DeSclafani are two highly successful prospects.
– Joe Frisaro
MIAMI — A worn out Marlins’ bullpen is getting some immediate relief.
On Sunday morning, the Marlins recalled right-hander Sam Dyson from Triple-A New Orleans. To make roster move, Nathan Eovaldi was placed on paternity leave.
Eovaldi started on Friday night against the Pirates. In the days leading up to the start, the team had been weighing fallback options in case his wife went into labor.
To stay in line to make his start on Wednesday against the Cubs, Eovaldi was scheduled to throw a bullpen session at Marlins Park on Sunday morning. Then he is heading to his home in Texas to be with his wife. She is scheduled to have labor induced later in the day.
Dyson, 26, pitched in five games for Miami last year. He is on the 40-man roster and offers versatility because he can pitch multiple innings, and even spot start.
In 20 1/3 innings with New Orleans, the right-hander has a 2.66 ERA, with 15 strikeouts and seven walks. He last threw on June 9.
– Joe Frisaro
MIAMI –- The Marlins on Friday night are playing their 65th game of the season. For Rafael Furcal, it’s like Opening Day.
Furcal has been reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and made his 2014 debut for Miami.
To make space on the 40-man roster for Furcal, Miami designated right-hander Angel Sanchez, who was at Double-A Jacksonville. Sanchez was claimed off waivers by Tampa Bay.
The Marlins obtained Sanchez last July as part of the Ricky Nolasco trade with the Dodgers.
The 37-year-old, who signed as a free agent for $3.5 million, also is returning to big league action for the first time since he was with the Cardinals 2012. He missed all of last year as he recovered from Tommy John surgery.
Furcal’s comeback season got off on rough footing. In Spring Training he strained his left hamstring, and opened the season on the disabled list. During a rehab assignment game in late April with Double-A Jacksonville, he received another setback when he strained his right groin.
Furcal played in six rehab assignment games from May 30-June 10 after recovering from his groin injury.
In all, Furcal batted .297 (11-for-37) with two doubles and four stolen bases.
– Joe Frisaro
MIAMI — Don’t read too much into this, but Andrew Heaney will not be starting for Triple-A New Orleans on Thursday night at El Paso.
No worries, the Marlins’ top prospect is not hurt. And no, Heaney is not on the verge of being called up to Miami.
The organization is simply skipping Heaney from starting Thursday to hold back his innings. Nothing more.
The only way Heaney will be able to pitch into September is by slowing down his innings from time to time along the way.
Heaney already has logged 76 2/3 innings, with 53 2/3 at Double-A Jacksonville and 23 more at New Orleans.
Ranked as the top lefty prospect in the game by MLB.com, Heaney is living up to the billing. He’s combined for a 7-2 record with a 2.47 ERA.
Heaney has fanned 79 and walked 15.
Based on performance, Heaney is making a strong case to be called up. But there is a logistical side to the sport.
Before the 23-year-old gets the big league nod, the Marlins will have to make a corresponding 40-man roster move.
Miami’s front office has some tough decisions to make. On Friday, they are expected to reinstate second baseman Rafael Furcal from the 60-day disabled list.
Before Furcal joins the team, someone currently on the 40-man must be moved.
Also, before opting for Heaney, the Marlins will have to identify which starter he replaces. Someone may have to move to the bullpen.
All Heaney can do in the meantime is his part, and pitch at a high level. Everything else is out of his control.
– Joe Frisaro
MIAMI — The Marlins are in advanced negotiations with Tyler Kolek, the second overall pick in last week’s First-Year Player Daft.
According to multiple sources, Miami is getting close to finalizing a contract that would start the 18-year-old right-hander’s professional career. Barring any late holdups, the deal could be official within a couple of days.
Along with Kolek, the Marlins also are making progress with all of their first 10 rounds of picks. There is strong optimism that deals will be reached soon with catcher Blake Anderson (36th overall), shortstop Justin Twine (43rd), second baseman Brian Anderson (76th), left-hander Michael Mader (105) and shortstop Brian Schales (107).
According to MLB.com’s Jim Callis, Brian Anderson has agreed to a $600,000 deal.
Before deals are official, each player must complete his physical. That process with some of the picks is already underway.
Kolek is the marquee prize for Miami in the Draft, which got underway on June 5.
Kolek, the power pitcher from Shepherd, Texas, caught the attention of the Marlins and the entire league with his overpowering fastball. His 102 mph fastball is the highest ever recorded by a high school pitcher.
The slot value for the No. 2 overall pick is $6.8 million. But it is unclear if Kolek will receive exactly that amount.
– Joe Frisaro
CHICAGO — When you have the endorsement of Nolan Ryan, you don’t need much more validation.
Ryan made no bones about how big a fan he is of Tyler Kolek.
The Marlins were equally impressed, and they selected the hard-throwing Texan with the second overall pick in Thursday’s First-Year Player Draft.
By his own estimates, Kolek stands 6-foot-5 1/2 to 6-6. He’s country strong at 255-pounds. Raised on a 10,000-acre ranch in Shepherd, Texas, Kolek isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.
Daily chores begin at 6 a.m., when he is up doing his part. To prepare for baseball, he drove 1 1/2 hours each way three days a week to work out with his trainer.
The prep phenom also can throw a baseball harder than any prep player on the planet. Taking it a step further, he just may have thrown the hardest fastball ever by a high school talent. He’s been clocked at 102 mph. By comparison, in 2011, Jose Fernandez maxed at 98 mph.
Ryan, the legendary Texan who works for the Astros, is a huge fan of Kolek.
“The thing I like about him is when you watch him pitch he’s around the plate,” Ryan told Phil Rogers of MLB.com. “He’s not bouncing balls, throwing stuff up on the backstop and things of that nature. I predict he’s going to come quicker than people think.”
Kolek will be easy to point out once he arrives in camp with the organization. He’s the pitcher built like a defensive end.
Actually, Kolek played some football in high school, but he stopped his senior season to prepare for baseball.
The Marlins have had their eye on Kolek for a long time. His name became linked to Miami at the Winter Meetings in December, and team officials met with him in January, getting a tour of the ranch.
The raw power is obvious. So is the upside.
Kolek was so overpowering, a National League scout said when his club watched him pitch, the catcher had trouble holding onto pitches. Not just a few, a lot. So those who had to face Kolek at the plate in high school won’t be the only ones happy to see Kolek go. So will be throws he threw to.
Along with pitching, the Marlins are adding more catching depth. With the 36th overall pick they took Blake Anderson, a prep standout from Mississippi, who has advanced defensive skills already.
While Kolek became the choice for Miami, the club did weigh other candidates.
A name that has surfaced now that didn’t draw much attention before the first round is Max Pentecost. The Marlins had great interest in Pentecost, the catcher from Kennesaw State, who went No. 11 to Toronto. Miami gave serious consideration for Pentecost with the second pick.
In so many ways, Carlos Rodon made perfect sense for Miami. But it appears the team may have passed the North Carolina State lefty, even if Kolek had gone No. 1 to the Astros, who selected Brady Aiken.
Rodon is considered close to being big league ready right now. But the Marlins had some red flags. Evaluators were a little concerned with Rodon’s shoulder, and the arm angle on his delivery. The fear is he could become an injury risk.
The White Sox didn’t have those concerns, and they took Rodon at No. 3 overall.
Signability always is an issue. There is a thought that Rodon, who has Scott Boras as an adviser, could be seeking dollars higher than the slot value.
I haven’t heard definitively that signing Rodon was an issue. But everything factors into a selection of a first-rounder, especially when the dollar figures are that high. In the case of the No. 2 pick, it’s $6.8 million. The Astros, keep in mind, also passed on the college star.
* The Marlins have a former No. 1 pick knocking on the door to get his first big league call-up. Andrew Heaney, taken ninth overall in 2012, is making a start at Triple-A New Orleans on Saturday.
Heaney, who turned 23 on Thursday, is now lined up in the same rotation spot as Randy Wolf. Before his last outing, he was lined up with Nathan Eovaldi, who threw Friday at the Cubs.
Perhaps this will be Heaney’s final start for New Orleans. If it is, the lefty could be ready to arrive in Miami for the homestand against the Pirates, which begins on June 13.
Eovaldi should pitch in the opener against the Pirates, and Wolf is in line to pitch the middle game. Could Heaney change those plans?
* Miguel Tejada, looking to make a comeback on a Minor League contract with Miami, is missing a few days because of a sore right shoulder. The veteran infielder experienced some discomfort throwing. He’s resting a few days.
– Joe Frisaro
Months of traveling, scouting and evaluating are coming to a close. Now, it’s decision time.
The 2014 First-Year Player Draft is set to begin, and the Marlins are sitting in a sweet spot, possessing the second overall pick. Also on Thursday, they will have the Nos. 36 and 43 choices.
Which way the Marlins go will depend upon the Astros, who hold the No. 1 pick.
The top two teams are playing their hands close to the vest, leading to speculation of what may occur.
The way things are shaping up, it appears the Astros and Marlins will each take pitchers.
Houston could be going with lefty prep star Brady Aiken from San Diego. But don’t be surprised if the Astros end up with Tyler Kolek, raised on a ranch near Houston.
From the Marlins’ standpoint, if Houston goes with a prep pitcher, it clears the way to go with North Carolina State lefty Carlos Rodon. This may be the ideal situation for Miami.
There are several reasons why Rodon would be a dream pick.
General opinion is Rodon would have been the top choice if he were in the 2012 and 2013 Drafts. The red flag was a dip in velocity, from 97 mph to 94.
If there is still 97 in the arm, then Rodon would be a serious choice for the Marlins, because he could help out the big league club perhaps as early as August. If not then, certainly in 2015.
The No. 2 pick carries a big financial tag, as the slot value of the pick is $6.8 million.
For an organization like the Marlins, to spend that kind of money, they’d have to go with the safest choice. They can’t afford to reach and miss. Remember, in 2008, they had the sixth pick and took catcher Kyle Skipworth, who hasn’t panned out.
That’s the risk of a high school pitcher and position player.
Obviously, there is risk with a college arm. But Rodon, some evaluators believe, has a slider right now that would be a plus pitch in the big leagues. Combine that with his fastball, and he has two pitches right now that can work at the highest level.
The Marlins certainly don’t want to over-reach to make 2014 a memorable one at the MLB level. But how the team is performing right now should be a factor.
The rotation already took a hit with Jose Fernandez being out for the season.
In the next week or two, Andrew Heaney, the ninth overall pick in 2012, could be an answer to help the rotation.
If Rodon is picked, and gets into big league shape by August, the big lefty also could be an option out of the bullpen, if not the rotation.
The chance of Heaney and Rodon helping in 2014 would give Miami two impact pitchers that are home grown. The club wouldn’t have to make a trade for an arm.
Rodon grew up in North Carolina, but he has family ties to Miami and Cuba. He would be an immediate fit, and has the makings of being a huge fan favorite.
Imagine Fernandez and Rodon as a way to market in Miami?
Moving forward, the Marlins could be looking at a rotation with Fernandez, Rodon, Heaney, Nathan Eovaldi and Henderson Alvarez.
Those five could be lined up sometime around the All-Star Break of 2015.
For all of that to happen, the Astros would have to go with either Aiken and Kolek, and the Marlins to go with the lefty who isn’t far away from helping the big league club right away.
If Rodon isn’t the choice, Kolek is the likely second option.
– Joe Frisaro
MIAMI — The Marlins sent down one power lefty bat and are calling up another.
Justin Bour, who has nine homers and 36 RBIs at Triple-A New Orleans, will have his contract selected by Miami on Wednesday, and the left-handed hitting first baseman will join the team at Tampa Bay.
After Miami beat the Rays, 1-0, on Tuesday night, the club optioned second baseman Derek Dietrich to New Orleans. Dietrich hit five homers with Miami, and he will look to polish up his defense and all-around game with the Zephyrs.
Bour, 26, is a 6-foot-4, 250-pound lefty-handed hitting first baseman. He has been a force in the middle of the lineup at New Orleans, batting .330.
Bour provides a left-handed power bat off the bench, and depth a first base for Garrett Jones.
The Marlins, after going 2-3 on their homestand, open a seven-game trip on Wednesday at the Rays. The trip also includes three games at Wrigley Field against the Cubs over the weekend, and two games at Texas next week.
Playing in AL parks means Miami will use a designated hitter, and Bour could be an option.
The Marlins’ bench has right-handed pinch-hit options in Reed Johnson and Jeff Baker, but they are thin with left-handed power off the bench.
– Joe Frisaro
MIAMI — It’s 18 days and counting since Jose Fernandez underwent his Tommy John surgery.
On Tuesday, while his teammates were taking batting practice, Fernandez actually picked up a baseball for the first time since his injury. Actually, the Marlins’ ace simply held a baseball.
Wearing a brace on his right arm, Fernandez is eager to actually throw a baseball. But that won’t happen until around mid-September.
Fernandez maintains he will not rush his recovery, which will be roughly 12-18 months.
Most likely, Fernandez anticipates being out about 13-15 months, which could mean a return around the 2015 All-Star Break.
– Joe Frisaro