Ozuna homers in simulated game
JUPITER, Fla. — After a week of fundamentals, the Marlins on Saturday morning went into “game mode,” playing simulated games on fields 4 and 5 at the Roger Dean Stadium complex.
The blast of the day went to Marcell Ozuna, who belted a home run off lefty Pat Urckfitz. Ozuna drive cleared the fence in left-center.
Some other highlights from field 4, which featured mostly the established big leaguers.
* Michael Morse laced a double to right-center.
* Ichiro Suzuki lined two singles in four at-bats.
* Giancarlo Stanton sported his specialized face guard, and stepped in four times. The low point was Stanton being struck on the left hip by a Henderson Alvarez fastball. Stanton brushed the pitch off, and in his fourth and final at-bat, he ended up striking out against Tom Koehler. However, during the sequence, the slugger lined a long drive to left that drifted just foul.
* David Phelps had a pair of strikeouts, after he got himself into a jam.
* Brad Hand, Jarred Cosart, Henderson Alvarez, Dan Haren, Phelps, Pat Misch and Urckfitz each threw on field 4.
The Marlins will play another simulated game on Sunday, starting around 10 a.m.
— Joe Frisaro