No surprise, no inquires about Stanton
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — To anyone who would listen, the Marlins made it abundantly clear Giancarlo Stanton was not available.
Apparently, teams listened.
“No one has called us about Stanton,” president of baseball operations Michael Hill said Tuesday night.
The Marlins have been consistent in their statements regarding Stanton, their 24-year-old right fielder. The slugger, who would garner immense interest on the trade front, is seen as the face of Miami’s franchise.
The 24-year-old, who belted 24 homers last year, is entering arbitration for the first time. He projects to make about $7 million next season.
Before the General Managers Meetings in Orlando last month, general manager Dan Jennings said on Sirius/XM radio that Stanton was “not available.”
Still, many in the industry didn’t believe, because the Marlins have had a history of dealing their high-priced players.
But at the GM Meetings, Hill added, no teams asked about Stanton, because they realized they would be told, “no.”
“We wanted to put that out there,” Hill said on Tuesday.
The Marlins see the importance of adding as opposed to subtracting. The strategy has helped them sign three free agents in the past five days.
On Tuesday, the club announced Garrett Jones had signed a two-year deal. And last Friday, Jarrod Saltalamacchia signed for three seasons. Late in the day, Rafael Furcal signed a one-year contract to play second base.
— Joe Frisaro