Marlins pregame items for Friday
MIAMI — The Marlins open their second half on Friday night with the first of four games against the Nationals at Marlins Park.
Josh Johnson gets the start for Miami, while Washington goes with Jordan Zimmermann.
Some highlights from the pregame session.
* Giancarlo Stanton was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list on Friday. The slugger was in the clubhouse pregame, walking without crutches for the first day since his surgery on Sunday. Stanton had two cartilage chips removed from his right knee. He expects to get the stitches removed on Monday, a tentative date. Stanton is unsure when he will return. The time frame is four to six weeks.
* Emilio Bonifacio was reinstated on Friday, and the speedster will wear a protect case over his left thumb, which required surgery on May 25.
* Manager Ozzie Guillen dropped Hanley Ramirez to fifth in the order. The hope is Ramirez will pick up his game, and eventually move into the third position. Ramirez had been hitting mostly second of late. Guillen says the team would be better if Ramirez was hitting third, but he has yet to produce to reclaim that spot in the lineup.
* Jose Reyes spent the All-Star Break taking his children to Disney World. The four-time All-Star shortstop attended The Lion King exhibit, and for the show, when they were looking for volunteers, Reyes was selected to provide an elephant noise. He did it, and noted many in attendance knew who he was.
* Lineup: Jose Reyes (SS), Omar Infante (2B), Carlos Lee (1B), Logan Morrison (LF), Hanley Ramirez (3B), Justin Ruggiano (RF), Emilio Bonifacio (CF), John Buck (C), Josh Johnson (P).
— Joe Frisaro