Stanton returns, Infante gets a day off
ST. LOUIS — Omar Infante, who made a game-saving play in the ninth inning on Friday night, was given a day off on Saturday.
In the ninth inning of Friday’s 3-2 win at St. Louis, Infante went up the middle to snare Carlos Beltran’s grounder. Throwing across his body, he tossed out Beltran, preserving the victory.
The Marlins have been playing in temperatures of more than 100 degrees for four straight days (it will be five on Saturday), so Infante was given a breather.
Donovan Solano, who came up in the Cardinals system but never played in the big leagues for them, is starting at second base on Saturday.
Here are some other items from manager Ozzie Guillen’s pregame press meeting:
* Giancarlo Stanton returned to the lineup and is hitting cleanup.
* Juan Carlos Oviedo begins playing for Class A Jupiter on Saturday, and he is eligible to join the Marlins on July 23. Guillen said getting Oviedo back will feel like a big trade. Oviedo could spell Heath Bell at closer on occasion.
* Bell, who has pitched in four straight games, is not available on Saturday. Steve Chisek is the closer option, but the team would like to give stay give him some rest. Mike Dunn and Randy Choate also could close.
* Even when Emilio Bonifacio rejoins the team, Guillen plans on playing Justin Ruggiano. Boni could play some infield, and Ruggiano could see time at the corner outfield spots as the team considers how to rest Stanton and Logan Morrison.
* When Boni returns on July 13, he likely will hit at the bottom of the order to provide speed.
* Saturday’s lineup: Reyes SS, Ramirez 3B, Lee 1B, Stanton RF, Morrison LF, Ruggiano CF, Solano 2B, Hayes C, Zambrano P.
* Guillen hinted that either Jose Reyes or Hanley Ramirez could get day off on Sunday.
– Joe Frisaro