Short takes from Edwin
From manager Edwin Rodriguez’s morning media session:
* Mike Stanton is taking live batting practice on the main field at Roger Dean Stadium. Stanton still isn’t doing any running drills, as he recovers from his strained right quad.
* Chris Coghlan is making his first back-to-back start of Spring Training, as he was in center field for the second straight day. The team is in the process of increasing Coghlan’s workload as he gets into playing shape after missing the second half of 2010 with a torn meniscus in his left knee.
* Closer Leo Nunez continues to impress. Rodriguez said that Nunez’s slider is becoming a plus pitch, to go along with his fastball and changeup.
* The pitching rotation for the next few days: Elih Villanueva will be starting against the Tigers in Lakeland on Tuesday. Javier Vazquez will face the Nationals on Wednesday in Jupiter. The Marlins play in the day and night on Thursday at Roger Dean Stadium. Anibal Sanchez will pitch in the afternoon against the Mets, and Sean West will make his first start at night against the Tigers.
* Rodriguez on Matt Dominguez, the frontrunner for the starting third base job: “He is walking and playing like he belongs here. That’s good to see.”
— Joe Frisaro