JJ-Koehler pitching in simulated game
Some highlights from manager Edwin Rodriguez’s morning press session:
* Josh Johnson and prospect Tom Koehler are throwing a two-inning simulated game at 10:20 a.m. on a back field at Roger Dean Stadium.
* Matt Dominguez likely will get three at-bats in the exhibition against the University of Miami, while most of the regulars will each get two. The plan is to play Dominguez as much as possible in Spring Training games. Look for him to go full games well before the rest of the regulars.
* Rodriguez says the team is pulling for Dominguez to win the third base job, because “I really believe if he makes the club that we will be a better team. Then we can keep [Omar] Infante at second base.” The preference is for Infante to play second, not third.
* Ricky Nolasco continues to throw on flat ground. The team is hopeful he can throw off the mound sometime next week. Nolasco is nursing a sore right thumb.
* After Johnson pitches his sim game on Sunday, the Marlins’ Opening Day starter will throw his first Grapefruit League game on Wednesday at Viera against the Nationals. Javier Vazquez, who is pitching against UM on Sunday, is slotted to throw again on Friday against the Mets.
* Donnie Murphy will be backing up Hanley Ramirez at shortstop. The hope is to play Emilio Bonifacio mostly in the outfield and second base in Spring Training games.
* The upcoming rotation: Vazquez (Sunday), Anibal Sanchez (Monday), Chris Volstad (Tuesday), JJ (Wednesday), Alex Sanabia (Thursday), Vazquez (Friday).
— Joe Frisaro