Highlights from Monday
Some of the highlights from pregame Monday at Land Shark Stadium:
* Alfredo Amezaga had an MRI on his left knee on Monday. It’s more precautionary, because the same knee was sprained during the World Baseball Classic in March. Manager Fredi Gonzalez feels Amezaga will miss another two or three days.
* Brian Sanches was added to the roster to provide bullpen help. Sanches was at Triple-A New Orleans.
* Reliever Kiko Calero, who has appeared in 22 games, is getting a couple of days to relax. Because he’s been so heavily used, Calero is not available on Monday and Tuesday. He said he should be fine by Wednesday.
* Anibal Sanchez, on the DL with a sprained right shoulder, will throw a bullpen session on Tuesday. Sanchez said he feels he could be back in about two weeks, a much brighter forecast than the two months initially feared.
* Hayden Penn and Burke Badenhop remain the frontrunners to get the starting nod on Friday against the Rays. Gonzalez ruled out using lefty Dan Meyer. The next few days will determine who gets the call. If a starter early in the week is unable to go deep into games, then Penn and/or Badenhop might be used in long relief.
* Gonzalez has thought about hitting Dan Uggla in the second hole, where he enjoyed great success early in his career. Uggla has batted there once this year, when the team was at Colorado last week. One reason that hasn’t been done consistently is because the lineup then may stack up three straight left-handed hitters — John Baker, Jeremy Hermida and Chris Coghlan.
— Joe Frisaro