Workout in review
It was a first. For for the most part, it was a success.
For the first time, the Marlins opened their day-before-the-opener workout to the public. Admission and parking were free, and the team used it as a select-a-seat opportunity.
About 1,000 showed up, and the team plans on making this a tradition for Opening Day home games.
If you didn’t make it to the park, here is what you missed:
* Radio voice Glenn Geffner addressed the crowd and did some player interviews when players had a free few minutes during the workout.
* Jeffrey Urgelles is filling in for Pierre Arsenault as the interim bullpen coordinator. Arsenault, the lone coach remaining from the 2003 World Series title team, is dealing with a left hip condition. He is hoping to return in four to six weeks. The bullpen coordinator regularly catches pitchers warming up.
* Cody Ross raised chants of “Cody! Cody! Cody!” after he entertained the crowd by belting several home runs during his batting practice round.
* Players were very accommodating signings autographs when they could.
* Dan Uggla, who has been resting tightness in his left calf, took batting practice and he will be good to go on Monday.
* The batting order on Monday will be: Emilio Bonifacio, John Baker, Hanley Ramirez, Jorge Cantu, Uggla, Jeremy Hermida, Ross, Cameron Maybin and Ricky Nolasco.
* Bonifacio, hearing the “Cody! Cody! Cody!” chants, was asked when he last hit a home run. He said, in the Dominican Republic Winter League. Bonifacio has not hit an MLB homer in 192 at-bats. He had 12 homers in his Minor League career, including one in 367 at-bats for Tucson last year.
* Scott Proctor will have another test by the doctor in a day or two, and that will determine when he will be cleared to start throwing.
– Joe Frisaro