Camping out Wednesday
Some things of note on Wednesday:
* The Marlins clearly are looking for a lefty bat off the bench. Geoff Jenkins is a possibility.
* Manager Fredi Gonzalez confirmed that Emilio Bonifacio will be the starting third baseman now that Dallas McPherson has been released. The move was anticipated for more than a week.
* Even though Ricky Nolasco was scratched from his start on Wednesday, Josh Johnson remains in line to start on Thursday against the Cardinals in Jupiter. Gonzalez said he is leaning towards starting catcher Ronny Paulino on Tuesday against the Nationals. Johnson is slated to pitch that day. Paulino is set to start on Thursday against the Cardinals. So he can get a trial run working with Johnson.
Johnson is expected to throw 45-50 pitches on Thursday.
* Alfredo Amezaga continues to make progress, but it is unclear if he will be ready for Opening Day. Recovering from a sprained left knee, the Marlins are being careful with Amezaga.
* Bonificio likely will lead off more against right-handed pitchers than left-handed pitchers.
* One reason McPherson was released was because the team wasn’t sure he would accept a reserve role. Gonzalez noted that was a factor, but he wouldn’t elaborate more on the subject.
— Joe Frisaro