Camping out in Port St. Lucie
Some leftovers from a busy Saturday morning:
* Manager Fredi Gonzalez said if Emilio Bonifacio makes the team, he likes the speedster in the leadoff spot.
* Matt Lindstrom will throw off the mound again on Sunday. If Lindstrom opens the year on the DL, he can be back-dated to March 27, and be eligible to play for the first time on April 11. There was some confusion on the back-date, which I reported yesterday as March 28. Instead, it is March 27.
* Alfredo Amezaga took some ground balls in the morning, his first drills since being sidelined with a left knee sprain. Infield coach Andy Fox saw Amezaga moving around and said he looked good. Amezaga is expected to miss most of the first month of the season.
* Wes Helms suffered a bruise to his left leg on Friday against the Orioles. It came on a play where right fielder Cody Ross tried throwing out a runner at first base. Helms was involved in a collision. He is fine, but was held back in Jupiter on Saturday.
* The Marlins are looking for an emergency catcher. John Baker and Ronny Paulino will handle the duties. But if a third catcher is needed, there isn’t a logical choice. The past few years, Mike Jacobs and Josh Willingham had catching experience. No one fits the bill this year. Wes Helms could be a candidate.
Left-handed throwing Cody Ross was asked in the dugout, and he said he’d try it.
— Joe Frisaro