Camping out Monday
What is going on Monday:
* The streak ended at 11 2/3 innings. One of Josh Johnson’s goals this spring was to not issue a walk. He almost did it. With two outs in the fifth inning, he walked Dusty Ryan. Johnson entered Monday night having gone through seven innings without issuing a free pass. The streak continued into the fourth innings against the Tigers. But with the count full to Ryan Raburn, Johnson struck Raburn on the hand. So he hit a batter before walking him. Johnson ran the count full to the next batter he faced, Jeff Larish. But he struck out Larish looking.
* Chris Volstad will start on Wednesday against the Cardinals. Anibal Sanchez will throw a simulated game on Wednesday.
* Alfredo Amezaga is returning from the World Baseball Classic after experiencing stiffness in his left knee on Sunday night. Amezaga went 2-for-5 with a home runs for Mexico in their 17-7 loss to Australia. Amezaga will be examined by Marlins physicians on Tuesday.
* Matt Lindstrom’s first pitch in relief for Team USA on Sunday night against Venezuela was clocked at 100 mph.
“He looked pretty good,” manager Fredi Gonzalez said. “That breaking ball looked good. That fastball command was outstanding. … I was real proud of him. To pitch in that kind of environment and keep his composure.”
* Andrew Miller is slated to throw a simulated game on Tuesday.
* Lefty reliever Taylor Tankersley threw like his of old when he struck out two and threw with authority in a one-two-three seventh inning. Renyel Pinto struck out the side in order in the sixth. And Dan Meyer stepped up with a scoreless eighth. The three lefties are in the mix for two relief jobs.
* Right fielder Brett Carroll ran into foul territory and made a terrific catch near the seats. After catching the drive by Placido Polanco, Carroll made an amazing turn and throw to third base. His throw sailed on a fly directly to third base, preventing Alex Avila from tagging and moving to third.
“Sometimes you just throw and let your instincts take over,” Carroll said.
– Joe Frisaro