Camping out Thursday
Observations from Thursday at Fort Lauderdale:
* Reliever Scott Proctor, who had surgery on his elbow last October, is experiencing a bout of scar tissue. The veteran is back in Jupiter, doing a long-toss program. The team is hopeful he will be back in games next week.
* Dallas McPherson was batting cleanup and playing third, while Gaby Sanchez was at first base on Thursday, hitting eighth.
* Don’t immediately discount Robert Andino’s chances of making the team. Because he is out of options, many believe it is a given that he won’t be on the Opening Day roster. That may not be the case, as the team is weighing whether to keep him as Hanley Ramirez’s backup.
* Keep an eye on Chris Coghlan. The third base/second base prospect is getting closer to being big league ready.
* Anibal Sanchez, who was pitching in relief on Thursday after Andrew Miller in Fort Lauderdale, will next pair up with Chris Volstad, who is pitching on Friday against the Red Sox in Fort Myers.
— Joe Frisaro