Game on the run …
Observations from the Grapefruit League opener vs. St. Louis:
* Hanley Ramirez, in his third plate appearance in the three spot, connected on a two-run homer off Francisco Samuel in the sixth inning. The homer came a half inning after he made an error at shortstop that helped the Cardinals score twice in the fifth.
* Cameron Maybin, hitting leadoff, led the game off with a single. Ramirez, batting third, walked in his first at-bat.
* After walking in a run in the first inning, and facing the bases loaded and no outs, Anibal Sanchez asked for the rosin bag. The right-hander then struck out Ryan Ludwick looking before getting Chris Duncan to tap into a 4-6-3 double play.
* Gaby Sanchez, looking to win the first base job, made an error — failing to catch Anibal Sanchez’s throw trying to nab Skip Schumaker. The error led to St. Louis taking the lead in the first inning on an unearned run.
* Cody Ross, in his new position — right field — made a nice play to throw out Khalil Greene trying to stretch a single to a double.
– Joe Frisaro