Interesting items and tidbits that went on Sunday at Marlins camp:
* Manager Fredi Gonzalez said team is leaning towards carrying 12 pitchers.
* Because of off days in the regular season on April 9 and April 13, a fifth starter isn’t needed until April 20 at Pittsburgh. Gonzalez said he may go with four starters every fifth day until then. The other option is to start off with a five-man rotation, and just give everyone an extra day.
* Most of the pitchers threw off the mound for their second straight day, including projected starters Josh Johnson, Chris Volstad, Anibal Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco and Andrew Miller.
* Harvey Garcia (recovering from right shoulder surgery) remains the only pitcher restricted.
* Kyle Skipworth, the No. 1 pick from last year, looked impressive taking batting practice. The left-handed hitter shows why he is so highly touted.
* Workouts on Monday begin at 10 a.m. ET on the backfields of Roger Dean Stadium.
* Many feel the Opening Day starter will be Nolasco, based on his 2008 performance.
– Joe Frisaro